On yesterday’s post we were talking about the importance of the Met Ball and the main component of this year’s theme: punk. Also, we introduced the winner of the third place of this week’s Top 3. Read more HERE.
The winner of our second place is someone who took the punk fashion principles of deconstruction and sensuality. Punks used to take cheap, old, and apparently worthless garments and turn them into their very own strongly sexual style with a pair of scissors and some thread. The final look (clothes torn apart that made room for a lot of skin to be displayed) could make no sense whatsoever for society in general, but still, people couldn’t help it and noticed punks anyway. This was its purpose precisely: to be noticed.
Second Place: Emma Watson in Prabal Gurung
Why did she win the second place?
* This one’s for you, Rick (a friend of mine who’s hopelessly in love with Miss. Watson).
- Just like Nina, Emma managed to follow the statements of punk fashion. Her dress, which kind of looks like a lot of fabric majestically wrapped around her body, exposes quite an amount of skin, causing Emma to give the illusion of being effortless sexy.
- The dress doesn’t look torn apart, but it does feel unfinished. It’s like our brain is saying: “Hey? Isn’t there something missing?” No. That’s the point. Showing off. Being proud of her own body and saying: “Yeah, I’m Emma Watson and I’m free to do whatever I want with my outfit because I’m hot, even when it looks like I just bandaged my chest (I mean, really) and wore a long skirt with a quite pronounced overture in the middle of my…” Ok. You can finish that sentence. And that’s the point of punk exactly: I do what I want. What do you have to say about it?
- The elegance of her outfit comes with the right choice of materials: black silk. Also, the fact that the gown is monochromatic helps a lot. There’s no need for prints when the cut is eye-catching by itself. “Eye-catching” is the key concept here. Remember: punk = attention.
- The lack of accessories and black pointy stilettos were a wise decision. Again, the dress is enough.
- The high cut skirt defines her waist and remarks her slimness, while the rest of the fabric embraces the outlines of her body for a sensual result.
Well, crazy diamonds, what do you say? How did Emma do? Success?
Shine all over and dream on, you guys! See you tomorrow to meet the first place. Tell me, who was your favorite?
Take care. Lotta love. Ciao!
Photos taken from VOGUE UK.